Have you ever been around someone who looks at a successful person and says stuff like...
"I can do that. I might be able to do it better!"
"They are not even that good."
"Yeah, they are doing _____. But I don't agree with them because they aren't doing _____."
Have you met someone who constantly uses their words to cheapen the value of others? I have. And my response is always the same. "You're a hater!" I may not say it out loud but you can guarantee that I'm thinking it. Why? Because the same person who offers major criticism is the same one who DOESN'T PRODUCE ANYTHING! They criticize and then they go on about their merry way...doing nothing. Their tongues speak loud because their actions don't speak at at all.
I found this out in my own life. I found myself doing the same things. I don't really talk that much but the mindset was still there. And here were the side effects that showed up in my life:
1. I couldn't appreciate anyone else's talent or hard work.
2. Nothing was ever good enough.
3. I had the "if only" complex. "I could be great too! If only I had ____."
4. I used the Sovereignty of God as an excuse to be lazy. (If God wants it to happen, then it will happen without my efforts so that He can get the glory. Why waste time if I'm not 100% sure that I will succeed?)
So I was basically a lazy perfectionist with a victim mentality who loved to sip cold glasses of Haterade. LOL! Wooow. And the root of all of it was fear. When you are brave, you realize that:
1. You can openly show appreciation for the work and talents of others without feeling like they are gonna take the small limelight that you have. (1 Thessalonians 5:12-13)
2. Things don't have to be perfect by your standards. You're not the boss. Just do what you do by the Spirit of God and for the glory of God. (Colossians 3:23-24)
3. There are no excuses. Just start. (Ecclesiastes 11:4)
4. God, in His sovereignty, chooses not to endorse laziness. (Matthew 25:24-30)
I tell you what...I've been learning so much about myself lately. The bible really is a mirror. I'm getting free!