Today you can here people constantly talking about the next great revival being on the way. Some have even said that they are currently experiencing revival. Others are too scared to call it a for real "revival" so they take it down a notch and call it an "outpouring". But whether you call it an outpouring or a revival, the signs of a true work of God are clearly listed in the scriptures. Check this out...
Acts 2:42-47 NLT
"All the believers devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching, and to fellowship, and to sharing in meals (including the Lord’s Supper), and to prayer. A deep sense of awe came over them all, and the apostles performed many miraculous signs and wonders. And all the believers met together in one place and shared everything they had. They sold their property and possessions and shared the money with those in need. They worshiped together at the Temple each day, met in homes for the Lord’s Supper, and shared their meals with great joy and generosity— all the while praising God and enjoying the goodwill of all the people. And each day the Lord added to their fellowship those who were being saved."
And again in Acts 4:30-35
Stretch out your hand with healing power; may miraculous signs and wonders be done through the name of your holy servant Jesus.”
After this prayer, the meeting place shook, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit. Then they preached the word of God with boldness.
All the believers were united in heart and mind. And they felt that what they owned was not their own, so they shared everything they had. The apostles testified powerfully to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and God’s great blessing was upon them all. There were no needy people among them, because those who owned land or houses would sell them and bring the money to the apostles to give to those in need."
We know that when God wants to awaken His church, the enemy will always seek to throw in the counterfeit to confuse and deceive people. I do believe that God is reviving His people again. But it will have certain characteristics that the counterfeit will try to copy but won't be able to duplicate. Here are 9 signs that you may be experiencing a counterfeit revival...
1. There is a devotion to working for God, but no devotion to prayer.
2. The apostle's teaching is left in the notebook and is never applied.
3. Counterfeit fellowship. People are experts at being friends on Facebook but don't know how to be a real friend in real life.
4. You may get a good feeling when you hang around Christians but you never feel a sense of just how awesome God is! There is no repentance of sin, fear of God, and a call to be holy as He is holy.
5. Miracles are REPLACED with programs.
6. There is a culture of being nice but there is no culture of sacrificial giving. The spiritually and physically poor among us remain poor while we do "big things for God". (I will add to this that people will expect for you to give to them without wanting a relationship with you. Ouch!)
7. Real joy is replaced with those annoying, I'm-struggling-but-I'm-gonna-make-it OR the We're-all-happy-and-everything's-fine-so-move-along... type of smiles. (You've seen'em lol!)
8. After years of "Kingdom work", there are only a handful of radical salvations. God is not adding to the church daily such as should be saved.
9. The church is hated...not because of pure devotion to Jesus, but because of their irrelevance to society.
In the scriptures, I see the real work of the Spirit. Sadly, in most churches I don't see this fruit. Let's pray for real revival.