Thursday, July 28, 2011

"Theology Thursday" feat Rachel Gallagher is UP NOW!


This week's guest blogger is non other than my friend, Rachel Gallagher!


Rachel is from Amarillo, TX and married to a pretty cool guy named Rory.


Every time I read Rachel's blogs, they are always encouraging and timely!


When I read this one, I was going through a little..."tunnel" shall we say.


This was right on time!


To keep in touch with Rachel's blog, check out www.spotlessbride.org.


You won't regret it! Here it goes:







Trust the Engineer


Corrie Ten Boom once said, "When a train goes through a tunnel and it gets dark, you don't throw away the ticket and jump off. You sit still and trust the engineer."


I can't tell you how many times I find myself in a discussion around doctrine and why I'm committed to it. With all the voices of influence vying for our attention in this culture, it's imperative that we have a good understanding of what we believe and why. Theology is the anchor that holds me steady. It's what keeps me trusting even in a dark tunnel.

My spiritual walk reminds me of being on that train. There have been glorious scenes and displays of color throughout the journey. It's so much fun when I can see everything around me clearly! I have to trust that God is taking me to a destination with purpose, but it's hard to see the bigger picture when I'm in a dark tunnel.

When I can't see the plan anymore, when I have lost my sense of direction, and when it's all I can do to sit back and trust the engineer, I remind myself of three things as it relates to sound doctrine.


A) All things work together for my good

I can't always understand why I must go through this tunnel of darkness. Is there a way to skip this part of the journey? How long is this tunnel anyway? Romans 8:28 says, "And we know all things work together for good to them that love God, to them that are called according to his purpose." The scene must be magnificent just outside this tunnel, and there must not be another way to get there except by taking this path. I trust the Engineer.

 

B) He still has a plan

Jeremiah 29:11 says, "For I know the thoughts I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end." The tunnel may feel like punishment, or a result of poor decisions made. But I trust the Engineer knows where to take me next, because He has my best interests in mind at all times.


C) The best is yet to come

Proverbs 4:18 says, "But the path of the uncompromisingly just and righteous is like the light of dawn, that shines more and more brighter and clearer until it reaches its full strength and glory in the perfect day..." (AMP) This passage tells me two encouraging things. First, my path will become clearer if I will just stay on it. Second, my best days are still ahead because things can only get better for the righteous. As great as yesterday may have been, tomorrow will be even better if I will just hang on and not quit today. I trust the Engineer.

No comments:

Post a Comment