Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Hungry and Thirsty for Righteousness

I read Matthew 5 during my quiet time today and wow...was it refreshing! When I got to the end, I really felt personally challenged by the Lord to live a deeper level of love...a deeper level with my brothers and with my enemies.

I read Matthew 5:6 and I started seeing things a little differently. This may sound very elementary something finally occured to me: Those that hunger and thirst after righteousness will be filled...with righteousness! Every time I read this verse, I skimmed over it and thought "Great, the hungry are getting filled." But I never stopped to think what they were getting filled with. Righteousness! Wow. This morning I asked myself, "What am I really hungry for?" "What is it that I feel I cannot do without?" "Is it righteousness or is it my own selfish ambitions?" "What do I reach for to quench my thirst? Is it righteousness?"

Something also hit me today. Righteousness of course is God's righteous way of doing things (by definition). But to hunger and thirst after righteousness is to hunger and thirst after the person of Jesus Christ.

Jer 23:6
6 In his days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely: and this is his name whereby he shall be called, THE Lord OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS.
KJV

Rom 10:4
For Christ is the end (the goal) of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.
KJV

1 Cor 1:30
But of him are ye IN CHRIST JESUS, Who of God IS MADE UNTO US wisdom, and RIGHTEOUSNESS, and sanctification, and redemption:
KJV
(that's one of my favorite verses by the way! Everything is in Christ!)

1 Cor 15:34

Awake to RIGHTEOUSNESS; for some have not THE KNOWLEDGE OF GOD: I speak this to your shame.
KJV

So our blessing for being hungry and thirsty after righteousness is more of the fulness of Christ! Now that's what I want! No more theories about righteous living. I want what's real! By the way, this hunger and thirst for righteousness is a sign of true regeneration. Romans 3:11 states that NONE seek after (search out, investigate, crave) God. Only the deep calls unto the deep.

So are you really hungry for Christ Himself or are you hungry for more head knowledge? If you are hungry for Righteousness, you WILL be filled. FYI: Matthew 6:33 promises that God will take care of the needs of those with THIS hunger!

Let examine ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment